Monday, September 23, 2013

Insight to Creation

Leading a daily life with Alzheimer's is a challenge that reappears in what feels like every minute of the hour to those affected.  What’s more, is the fact that self-esteem and dignity can be lost throughout this progressive process.  What sometimes gets overlooked, however, is how loved ones and caregivers fall victim to stress, anger, and ineffective coping methods when assisting individuals with Alzheimer’s disease.  For these reasons, I have compiled many ideas I have learned during my clinical practice and Alzheimer’s training to assist those in need of direction when aiding Alzheimer’s patients; more to come.

While working as a caregiver myself, I developed an interest in allowing Alzheimer’s clients to live life to the fullest, in the happiest ways possible.  Too many times have I come across a family who lives in hostility because the proper precautions and understanding is not present.  I previously had a client who lived with their partially mentally disabled daughter.  Her having the slight disability affected they way she was able to understand her parent's condition.  My client would say something that resulted from a temporary behavior change that I had been taught to overlook.  These things happen at times with Alzheimer's patients.  The daughter did not understand that, and she would begin to argue.  The proper precautions had to be implemented in order for the family to get along with one another.

There are correct ways to go about caring for a person with Alzheimer’s, and there are incorrect ways.  I would like to extend my knowledge of effective coping methods to others who care for these precious individuals.

The importance of coping effectively aides households tremendously without compromising relationships.  Individuals who learn to cope effectively in caring for Alzheimer’s patients have a lighter heart, and the actual person with the disease is able to have restored dignity. 

Has anyone ever felt lost in terms of providing assistance to an individual with Alzheimer’s disease?  What approaches have you taken in communicating/coping with someone suffering from Alzheimer’s?  Was this approach effective?  Comments and conversations are welcomed as we take on this journey of caring for those most dear to us who have unfortunately developed Dementia and Alzheimer’s.  

1 comment:

  1. I know this is just your intro, but I am very excited to read your future posts. You bring up such an important point… these people deserve dignity. Dealing with loved ones that have mental illnesses can be very challenging. I know first-hand how frustrating it can be. I can’t wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete