Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Technique Tip #3

Slam on the breaks, deer in the headlights looking directly at you...this is what I experienced when I attempted to tell my client of the time change that has recently occurred.  She did not understand what in the world I was referring to when I told her I had changed the clock time that night in order for us to be aware of the correct time when she got up the following morning.  In her day and age, she had not had to change the clock for daylight savings time.  Only in the past several years has South Bend/Mishawaka had to do this, and she was as confused as she could be.  In order for me to clarify what I was trying to tell her, I had to rephrase my explanation.

The verbal technique of rephrasing is a beneficial route to take when an individual with Alzheimer's does not comprehend information.  Instead of me telling my client, "we have to move your clock back an hour, that is why it is reading seven o'clock when it is actually eight o'clock," I simply rephrased my wording as, "I have changed the time of your clock to read seven o'clock rather than eight o'clock."  In restating this information, I also used a shorter sentence as to keep confusion at a minimum. 

Even though my restating the material got the point of time change across to her, which she said she understood, she still stuck with her testimony that the clock was still going to be wrong in the morning. :)  I sincerely agreed with her that, "yes, the clock will be wrong in the morning."  Rephrasing helped my client understand the issue of the time change, yet there were underlying matters that she still disagreed with.  There was no harm in allowing her to think what she wants.  Besides, in the morning, the clock would show the correct time and she would then agree. 

The use of verbal techniques allows us to be resourceful and interpret the unclear.  Does anyone have a story of how rephrasing information opened another door of knowledge?  Did your client or loved one truly understand the whole picture, or were there underlying circumstances?  I would love to her your report.      

No comments:

Post a Comment